Have you noticed your spouse making small comments about the home and how they’d like it to be improved? It’s a hard one to miss. But if it’s such a bother and frustration, why not do something about it?
Remodels make a great gift; even a holiday gift. You don’t have to have all your ducks in a row first. Simply make a voucher that tells him or her that it’s happening. Call a contractor and get the plan rolling.
First ask yourself, if you plan to stay in the home long term or sell in the next few years. This information makes a big difference on the remodel you choose.
If you intend to stay in the home you may want to:
- Add extra space to accommodate an expanding family, or simply to add a sense of spaciousness.
- Add rooms for special purposes, such as an office, game room or extra bath.
- Change the layout of the house for better flow, use or relation to sun and views.
- Update to give the house a fresher, more modern look – this could involve taking out walls to enlarge a room, putting in a new kitchen, or installing new lighting and ceilings.
- Restore the house to its original style (while adding modern features in some areas, like the kitchen and bathroom).
- Add value to increase your investment.
If you are going to end up selling, then your remodel should be focused on both your needs and creating higher resale value. For example, some large ideas would be to finish a basement, attic or remodeling the kitchen, while smaller ideas would include repainting, or changing dated or damaged fixtures, such as a cracked sink in the bathroom.
Just be sure to not spend money on improvements that you won’t get back from the sale price. You could even consult a real estate agent for ideas to increase the house’s appeal, and how much you should spend without over investing.
We understand that the process can be overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to. There are more tips we’d like to share and simple steps that you can take to make this a simple and easy process. So give the gift of remodeling. It’s a win win.
Our contractors at Unique Home Building in Dallas, Texas are here to make this the best situation experience we can, for you! Call us today to let us know how we can help!