Friday, May 29, 2015

How to Prevent Mold in the Home After Water Damage

How to Prevent Mold in the Home After Water DamageMold spores spread easily and cannot be completely eradicated. Mold can grow anywhere: on carpet, clothing, food, paper, and even in places you can't see, such as the backside of drywall, areas inside walls around leaking or condensing pipes, and above ceiling tiles.  Not only is a mold problem difficult and costly to fix, but mold can also produce allergens and irritants (and, rarely, toxins) that may compromise your health.
 
So what can you do if you're concerned about mold growing in your home? Let the expert contractors at Unique Home Building help you out. The truth is, as with most things, the best way to treat mold is through prevention. How do you prevent mold? Controlling the moisture in the home. And in the current torrent of rain storms and flooding, this is an important prevention to take. 

Dry wet areas immediately. 
Mold can only grow with moisture, so be wet areas right away. Water that's gotten into the basement after a heavy rainfall, accumulated from a leaky pipe, even just spills on the carpet need to be dried within 24 to 48 hours. If you've been hit negatively by the flood, make sure to remove water-damaged carpets, bedding, and furniture if they can't be completely dried. Even everyday occurrences need attention: don't leave wet items lying around the house, and make sure to dry the floor and walls after a shower.

Identify the problem areas in the home and correct them. 
Where are the problem areas in your home? Does the basement flood? Do you notice frequent condensation on an upstairs window? Is there a water stain on the ceiling from a persistent leak? Preventing mold from growing or spreading might be as simple as ripping up carpet in a damp basement, installing mold-resistant products, or repairing damaged gutters. Or it may be a matter of major excavation and waterproofing. (Contact a contractor) Whatever the case, address the problem now. 

Prevent moisture with proper ventilation. 
It may be that your routine domestic activities are encouraging the growth of mold in your home. Make sure an activity as simple as cooking dinner, taking a shower, or doing a load of laundry doesn't invite mold by providing proper ventilation in your bathroom, kitchen, laundry room, and any other high-moisture area. Vent appliances that produce moisture — clothes dryers, stoves — to the outside (not the attic). Use AC units and dehumidifiers (especially in humid climates), but make sure they don’t produce moisture themselves by checking them periodically and cleaning them as directed by the manufacturer. Your energy-efficient home may be holding moisture inside, so open a window when cooking or washing dishes or showering, or run an exhaust fan. 

Texas has a lot more water than normal and it needs to be dealt with quickly to avoid a domino effect of disaster. Mold is a bad thing to have in the home, both for the house and for your health, so be sure to deal with it quickly! Please contact us at Unique Home Building for help and assistance. 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment